|Covid Delays set back the completion date for marina
We had planned to have the first jetties available in Waikawa North West Marina early this summer, but unfortunately with the recent and previous delays due to Covid Alert levels in Auckland, we estimate that the first jetties will be now complete in late summer 2022, with the full marina completion date set to be September 2022, just ahead of Summer next year.
Breakwater piling works are continuing and the first headstocks have been delivered to the site and installation works are underway.
The headstocks are the concrete structure that sits on top of the sets of piles and holds them together. The panels which will make up the breakwater will be suspended from the headstocks. The piles and headstocks together form the breakwater which shelters vessels in the marina and also supports a 120m walkway around the marina, and which will provide amazing views out Queen Charlotte Sound.
We have worked closely with Te Ātiawa, holder of mana whenua and mana moana in Waikawa, to ensure the design elements in the walkway acknowledge the historic, cultural and spiritual significance of Waikawa Bay to our tangata whenua.
The breakwater is on track to be completed in February 2022, and the overall marina completion is planned for September next year.
- Installation of raked piles – total piles installed: 188 of 262 piles at end of September
- Further capacity testing of installed piles is ongoing
- Fabrication of pre-cast headstocks ongoing with first headstocks delivered to site
- Preparation to piles for first headstock installation
- Preparation works for fabricating the wave panels
- Simcox started installation of water and power services through the existing marina
- The move and re-installation of the privately-owned swing moorings further north is now fully complete.
- Continue installation of raked piles
- Continue fabricating pre-cast concrete headstocks off-site
- Continue splicing piles on site and welding on fins
- Continue installation of headstocks
- Pour the first wave panels
- Simcox to progress installation of services through the existing marina
- Bellingham Marine were due on-site to start jetty piling works in late October, but due to the ongoing Covid-19 restrictions in Auckland, their arrival has been delayed.
As the work continues around the marina, we remind our marina users to take care when passing in and out of Waikawa Bay
- Remember to adhere to the 5-knot speed restriction and minimise wake as you pass the construction site,
- Remember to stay clear of construction plant/activities,
- Remember to keep out of the 30m construction safety zone.