Safe Boating in the Marlborough Sounds
We want you to enjoy your time out on the water and return safely. So before heading out, we highly recommend you take a look at this excellent Marlborough Sounds Safe Boating guide, produced by the Marlborough District Council. View or download it here.
This brochure provides information to help you have an enjoyable and safe time on the water. Copies of the brochure are also available from the Marlborough District Council Customer Service Centres in Blenheim or Picton, as well as from the Waikawa, Picton and Havelock marinas.
Here are some other handy hints to make sure you stay safe on the water for this up and coming season.
Prepare your boat.
- Schedule an engine service, as it is important to ensure all fittings and clamps are properly secured and all fluids are fresh.
- Inspect your fuel system for leaks and drain any water from water traps and filters.
- Test your battery, checking correct fluid levels. Inspect all connections to ensure they are tight and free from corrosion.
Check your inventory.
- Check life jackets (size, condition and suitability). All recreational boaties must carry life jackets in Marlborough waters.Anyone in charge of a recreational vessel should expect to be prosecuted and fined $200 if they’re found without the life jackets required for those on board.
- Look at the equipment on your boat and make sure it’s working and you have everything you need.
- Check expiry dates on flares and fire extinguishers, batteries on all equipment and your distress beacon’s registration date.
Prepare for an emergency.
- Make sure you can access safety gear easily in an emergency. A floating ‘grab bag’ with the emergency gear you need should your boat capsize is a great idea.
- Make sure someone in your crew can skipper too, just in case you can’t.
Refresh on the rules.
Know the maritime rules. Every boat must have a skipper who is legally responsible for the safety of the boat and all the people on board, and is also responsible for complying with all the relevant rules and regulations.